From the beginning and into the 1940s, the majority of students at Wheaton College and Academy rented rooms in private homes. Whether students stayed in College-owned or private homes, they were under the same regulations. Consultation with the Deans was a prerequisite for engaging any rooms. It was a system of the College being "in place of the parents," while in school at Wheaton.
 

1860-65 "The Faculty will exercise a parental and moral oversight of the character and conduct of the students, each officer having power to suspend disorderly students until next Faculty meeting." Catalogue 1860-61, p.14
1865-92 "The Faculty shall aim to exercise a parental and moral supervision of the character and conduct of the students...For any violation of these rules or other other disorderly conduct, any officer of the College has power to suspend a student till the next meeting of the Faculty." 
Catalogue 1865-66, p. 17
1901- "In the supervision of students, the College seeks to promote self- government by appealing to the sense of honor and personal responsibility."
Catalog 1901-02
  Jonathan Blanchard, President 1860-82 - Campus of two buildings

For the duration of Jonathan Blanchard's presidency, the two buildings described below served a minority of students in College-owned housing.
Charles Blanchard, "A Brief History of Wheaton College," Wheaton College Record, Feb 1910, p. 143, quoted in David Maas' WheatonCollege Awakenings 1853-1873, #96, p. 48

1860 "In those days the institution had but two buildings-one, a small stone structure on the summit of a beautiful hill, just north of the tracks of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad Company; the other a poorly constructed frame building at the foot of the hill. The latter was called the boarding hall, the former the College." "In 1848 members of the Wesleyan Methodist Churches secured a charter for "Illinois Institute" to be located at Wheaton, on the brow of our own hill. The year 1856 marks the erection of the first building, the nucleus of our present "limestone tower" structure. 
At about the same time the "White House," a dormitory torn down about 1895, rose at the southwest corner of the campus."
The Tower 1927, p. 95-6 
1868 This vision of the completed College building appeared on Jonathan Blanchard's stationery in 1868. It would see fruition in the fourth expansion completed in 1927.
1868-71 Main expanded, addition of west wing-"Between 1868 and 1870 this building was enlarged to practically three times its original size and capacity. The walls of the old building were made higher, the chapel moved to the third floor, the tower built (1869) and the west wing added." West wing occupied in 1872. Bulletin, 1929, p. 19
  Charles A. Blanchard, President 1882-1925
1882-3 The College building is of limestone, 145-ft. front. The connecting wing and west building are each four stories in height, containing...private rooms for 60 students. The College has, also, a frame building, which is used as a dormitory for young gentlemen. It is in thorough repair, and, at present, fully occupied.
1889-90 Main College building expanded east, occupied in 1891-2
1892-3 The main College building...The eastern addition 42 x 54, is now completed and in daily use.
1898-9 This year the erection of our Woman's building required us to borrow $6000. (p.40) [See sketch p. 44] Ladies' Hall
Register 1898-9

Industrial Building I (frame-structure) - "One of the trustees, Mr. R. J. Bennett, of Chicago...purchased the Rufus Smith property, north of the college, as a home for the industries (printing, bicycle shop) connected with the institution."
Record, November 1898, p. 11
[This frame building was located north of what would become the steam plant and Industrial Building II, built in 1902. It then takes the name Wayside Inn, and as such will be a boarding club and dormitory, cap. 14]

1898-9 The Gymnasium built; will later be named Adams. (listed among the places for men's rooms in 1923 Catalog, p.17)

1902 "Across the street north of the campus (Franklin) is the new brick structure which will bear the name Industrial Building from 1902-17. North of this building is the Wayside Inn, where the Young Men's Boarding Club take their meals and several families connected with the College find homes."
Catalog 1907, p. 10

1908 The Observatory was placed southeast of Main Building
1916 Missionary House - "In the summer of 1916 the college came into possession of a house on Seminary Street, south of the campus. It is designed to use this as a home for children of missionaries who are in attendance at the college (cap. 20)." "History,"
Bulletin, 1917, p. 12
1917 Industrial Building becomes Wheaton Academy (1917-45) - "Formerly the upper stories of this building were used for the industrial departments of the College. At present it is the Wheaton Academy Building, the recitation rooms of the academy being located there." 
Bulletin, 1917, p. 12

"Where the academy building now stands was a large frame building which had been used for the printing office. This building was moved north to its present location and was fitted up as a boarding club for young men. It is now the Wayside Inn."
Bulletin, 1917, p. 12

Bent Cottage, named for Prof. Joseph A. Bent - "The ground lying east of the academy building with a frame dwelling has recently been obtained through a legacy and the house is in the process of reconstruction to be used as a dormitory for men (cap. 10) and to be called Bent Cottage. "History," 
Bulletin, 1917, p.12

1920 Cork Cottage, named for Hugh Cork (cap. 14) - residence for women
1922 Bartlett Hall, named for trustee L. E. Bartlett (cap. 22) - residence for men on corner of Center & Main - used as headquarters of the College Y.M.C.A.
Bulletin 1922, p. 10
1923 Gymnasium - on list of rooms for men 
Bulletin 1923, p.17

Bent Cottage - listed as women's residence
Bulletin 1923, p.17

1925-6 "On the campus at the corner of Franklin and Washington Streets is the College Church and Chapel, commenced during the winter of 1924-25 and dedicated November 15, 1925. This building is for the joint use and occupancy of the College Church of Christ and the College and is used by the latter for Commencements and other important assemblies."
Bulletin 1926, p.11
  J. Oliver Buswell, Jr., President, 1926-40
1927 Main becomes Blanchard - "During the past year the Main Building has been made symmetrical and architecturally complete by the addition of the remainder of the east wing, an almost exact duplication of the west wing which was built fifty years ago. This fine large addition with the extensive remodeling of the entire building has greatly increased its capacity and usefulness.
Bulletin, 1928, p. 17
1929 College Infirmary - "The upper floor of Bent Cottage has been set aside as an infirmary. It is equipped with hospital beds and other necessary facilities."
Bulletin, 1929, p.24
1930-31 Womens' Building becomes Williston Hall (named in honor of longtime Blanchard friend and donor, J.P. Williston) 
Bulletin, 1930-31, p. 26
1931-32 Mills Cottage, residence for women
Bulletin,1931-2, p.30
1935-36 Dow House, dormitory for women.
Bulletin, 1935-6, p. 22 

The Infirmary - Bent Cottage now used entirely for "eleven-room Infirmary" p. 24 

President's House/Westgate - formerly owned by trustee, John M. Oury; presented to President Buswell on the tenth anniversary of his inauguration, April 23, 1936
Alumni News, May-June 1936, p.3

1936-7 Campus Map, Bulletin, 1936-37, back cover Chapel becomes the Orlinda Childs Pierce Memorial Chapel

Hiatt Hall, dormitory for women
Eastgate, dormitory for women
Irving House, dormitory for women
"The Barracks," dormitory for men
Bulletin, 1936-7, p. 15-16

New Dormitory for women opened Dec. 1936
Record, Dec. 9, 1936

1937-8 Plumb Studios acquired; Departments of Speech & Art, New Dormitory (first unit) and temporary Annex (formerly "The Barracks") residence for women
Bulletin 1937-8, p. 29
1939-40 New Dormitory (second unit) for women opened Sep. 1938
Record, Sep. 16, 1938, Bulletin 1939-40, p. 17
  V. Raymond Edman, President 1940-65
1940-41 Whipple Studios, just north of the chapel, donated by friends; new facility for the Conservatory of Music Maranatha, new name for temporary Annex located between Bent and New Dorm
Lincoln House, Scott & Lincoln, residence for women and home economics unit
Bulletin, 1941-2, p. 17
1942-43 New Auditorium and Physical Education Building - men's division - dedicated May 29, 1942, 
Record, May 29, 1942

Gymnasium renamed Women's Gymnasium - women's division
Bulletin, 1942-43, p. 17

1943-44 Ferris House, 422 E. Seminary, formerly Missionary House, residence for men
Bulletin 1943-44, p. 17

North Hall (formerly New Dormitory), residence for women, p. 28

1944-45 Howe House, Irving Ave., residence for women
Blount House, residence for women
Bulletin, 1944-45, p. 17

Industrial Bldg. II (1902-17). Wheaton Academy (1917-45) becomes the Graduate School Building (1945-60)

1945-46 Peehl House, residence for women
Bulletin, 1945-46, p. 16
1946-47 Garlough House, student dormitory
Bulletin, 1946-47, p.12, 22

New Auditorium & Phy. Ed. Bldg. becomes Alumni Gymnasium
Bulletin 1946-47, p. 12

1947-48 Blaine House-Home Economics & practical home making, p.13
Industrial Building (brick, 1902), used for Wheaton Academy becomes the Graduate Building, p. 13
The Quadrangle (2 units) for men
Bulletin 1947-48, p. 13, 22
1949-50 The Quadrangle becomes Unit I and Culp Hall (90 men each)
Bulletin 1949-50, p. 13, 22
1951-52 Memorial Student Center dedicated June 11, 1951
Bulletin, 1951-52, p.13
1952-53 The Library, opened January 1952
Record, Jan. 24, 1952
Library will be named Nicholas 

The Dining Hall, opened January 4, 1953
Record, Dec. 18,1952

1954-55 Maranatha ("temporary" housing since 1935) removed
1955-56 Breyer Chemistry Building
Service Building (Buildings & Grounds)
Bulletin, 1955-56, p. 13

Unit I and Culp Hall become James Edward Elliot Hall, and Nathanael Saint Hall, Homecoming, Oct. 1956

1957 The Infirmary - Health Center 1958
1959-60 Centennial Gymnasium
Bulletin, 1959-60, p. 15
1960 The Graduate School Bldg. becomes Buswell Hall (1960-80). In 1980 it will be named Schell Hall in honor of Edward R. Schell.
Duration of Residences For Student Housing/"Rooms"
'36
'38
'40
'42
'44
'46
'48
'50
'52
'54
Bartlett
Blount
         
       
Barracks
   
Annex '41
Maranatha
'54
Blanchard House
                 
- '56-
Cork
 
'47
     
Dow
 
'48
   
Eastgate
'47
     
Emerald
                 
-'56
Faulkner
                 
-'59
Garlough
         
'46-7
       
Hiatt
'55
Hiatt Hall is used by the Home Economics Dept. as home management house-'57
Howe
       
Irving
               
Lincoln
   
'41
'48
     
Mackenzie
                 
'58-
Mills
'47
       
Missionary
Ferris '43
New Dorm
North
Carolyn McManis Hall - 1956-57

Alice Evans Hall - 1956-57

Peehl
       
'45
       
Quadrangle
       
'47
Unit I
Homecoming Oct. 1956 Dedication James Edward Elliot Hall
           
Culp
Nathanael Saint Hall
Bulletin, 1957-58, p. 29
Wayside Inn
'56
Williston