6 Boxes (DC, 2.4 cubic feet), Audio Tapes, Negatives, Oversize Material, Photographs, Slides
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biography of Compiler
Full Name: John Roy Wells
Birth Date: January 15, 1929
Birth Place: Riverhead, New York
Parents: Howard and Martha Wells
Marital Status: Married; wife, Geraldine C. Wells. Children, Rebecca and StephenEducation: 1946-1947 Houghton College, New York
Scope and Content
[NOTE: In the Scope and Content Section, the notation "folder 5-2" means "box 5, folder 2."]
This collection contains materials compiled by John R. Wells which document missionary aviation history. It includes correspondence, brochures, booklets, newspaper and magazine clippings, missionary prayer and newsletters, maps, audio tapes, negatives, photographs, and slides. Dates covered by these materials are 1924 to 1983.
Some of the organizations that Wells collected information about are: the Assemblies of God (folder 1-5); the Royal Flying Doctor Service of the Australian Inland Mission (folder 1-6); Catholic flying missions in Alaska, Bolivia, Laos, New Guinea, the Philippines, and other countries (folders 1-13 through 18); Christian and Missionary Alliance (folder 1-21); Jungle Aviation and Radio Service (JAARS)(folders 3-1,2); Mission Aviation Fellowship (folders 4-1 through 4); Moody Bible Institute (folder 5-1); the Salvation Army (folder 5-12); and many others. See the Container List for further listings.
Some of the people whose flying careers are documented include Paul Carlson (folder 1-12); Mrs. Mattie Crawford, a Pentecostal evangelist (folder 2-2); George E. Fisk (folder 2-8); Kenneth J.H. Hearn (folder 2-12); Walter J. Herron (folder 2-14); Rex Humbard (folder 2-15); and others. Folder 5-7 contains manuscripts that were prepared by Wells from the material in the collection.
Negatives, photographs, and slides depict many pilots, missionaries, airplanes, accidents, and missionary activities which show the growth of the use of the airplane for missionary endeavor. Audio tapes are verbal letters which describe the personal experiences of several missionary pilots. See the Location Records for more information.
A number of books were given to the BGC LIBRARY (now Evangelism & Missions Collection of the Wheaton College Archives & Special Collections), but only the ones that were not duplicates were kept (see Location Record: Books).
The materials in this collection were given to the Archives of the Billy Graham Center by John R. Wells in October 1985, August 1986, June 1987, January 1990, and August 1994.
Accessions 85-136, 86-95, 87-57, 90-2, 94-72January 28, 1996
T1 - Cassette, 3-3/4 ips, one side only, approximately 17 minutes, n.d. Reply by Dick Vossler (SIMAIR) to a letter from John Wells. Discusses the early days in the Sudan Interior Mission (he arrived in 1953); a missionary sick with polio who later died; permission for missionaries to use ground-to-ground radio; an emergency flight with Robert "Bob" Cook, who had spinal meningitis, and his recovery after treatment; use of SIM flights; rescuing a burn victim; God using many different ministries together for his glory; returning to the USA in 1957; impressed with concentrated mission efforts; and Bill Tuck marrying a nurse who took care of him during an illness.
T2 - Cassette, 3-3/4 ips. Side 1 (30 minutes): Reply by Henry Cook to a request from John Wells (background noise from the car makes recording difficult to hear), September 18, 1972. Discusses the aviation program for Wycliffe Bible Translators, which was started by Jim Baptista; acquisitions and uses of airplanes; use of planes in New Guinea; arrival of 1968 helicopter in New Guinea, a 1970 helicopter crash and a plane crash; his arrival on the field in 1968; general remarks on maintenance; receiving approval for various services; comparison of rating systems for pilots and further examination for more licenses; upgrading shop by doing work for others; and aircraft identification and maintenance. Side 2 (30 minutes): continuation of reply by Henry Cook to John Wells, September 18, 1972. Discusses problems and maintenance; rates charged for use of planes or helicopters; other missions operating in New Guinea, including Catholic missions; contact with other pilots; equipping planes with beacons; other missions--Lutheran, Seventh Day Adventists; working as a Lutheran pilot for one week; an organization supplying goods to local stores; commercial operators in New Guinea; local operators; personal experiences; a plane crash; three days spent repairing plane; stories about bad weather; and dependence on the Lord.
T3 - Cassette, 3-3/4 ips, Side 1, 30 minutes, January 1944: Wells interviewing A. Lynn Washburn, who dscusses his background, growing up in Colombia; his first contact with an airplane on his way to the United States; experiences in the USA; interest in model airplanes; his father's idea of using aircraft for mission work, around 1946, and his returning to the USA and learning to fly; his father not allowing him to learn how to fly; connections with MAF and parents' acquaintance with Nate Saint; looking at colleges with flying programs and paying for flying lessons; getting a pilot's license; meeting his future wife; applying to Moody Bible School but not accepted as a pilot candidate; attending Moody for one year and then transferring to a school which would permit him to get married; marriage and wife's income financing their living expenses while his work paid for his flying habit; getting a commercial license; applying to get back to Moody; and learning mechanics from practical experience. Side 2 (30 minutes), January 1944). Continuation of interview with Washburn, discussing his testing and acceptance at Moody; taking various tests for acceptance; description of time at Moody; job opportunity in Texas; acceptance of the job in Texas and the move; problems with passports; flying to South America; new home in Peru; problems with planes; purpose of operation; an airplane crash with people in crash okay; financial troubles with organization; the program letting Lynn go; moving back to the USA and working for Moody and Evangelical Covenant Mission.
T4 - Cassette, 3-3/4 ips. One side only, 45 minutes, April 23, 1973. Paul Wertheimer discusses the early days at Moody; his association with John Wells; story about Wells getting his pilot's license and airplane; Wertheimer's own background in flying; getting into flight instruction; teaching in the military and job in the FAA; decision to work for the Lord; an opening at Moody and establishment of training facilities there; giving missionaries adequate training; his conversion; his marriage and children; stories about old students and friends; working for Douglas Aircraft; and stories about the old days.
T5 - Cassette, 3-3/4 ips. Side 1, 30 minutes, June 1, 1974. Clarence Soderberg, first pilot of SIM, gives his testimony, including a brief history of his young life; coming to Wheaton; enlistment in the Navy; beginning of interest in missionary aviation; contacts established with other Christian pilots; beginnings of Mission Aviation Fellowship; joining the Sudan Interior Mission; raising support and going to Nigeria; the planes in Nigeria; mentions Nate Saint; founding the work in Nigeria; and discussion of flying conditions in Nigeria.
Side 2, 30 minutes, June 1, 1974. Continuation of Soderberg talking about an experience with Dick Vossler; trouble with a storm and God's providence; planes and equipment; amusing incident involving airsickness; loading stretchers into the planes; his Navy days; and closing comments.
T6 - Cassette, 3-3/4 ips. Side 1, 30 minutes. Interview with Paul Robinson by John Wells, August 17, 1972. Discusses people involved in early missionary aviation, such as Ralph Hanson and Paul Hartford, the latter of whom went to Winona Lake and started Victory Sky Pilots, a missionary aviation training school; types of planes acquired; his joining the staff on May 1, 1946, to begin the flying program at Moody Bible Institute; Hartford then joined Youth for Christ and worked in Florida and the Caribbean; first missionary Robinson worked with, women employees of Moody learn to fly; Henry Coleman Kroll; move to Elmhurst in 1946; different plane models used in Moody flying program; move to Wood Dale in 1950; various instructors and training programs.
Side 2, 30 minutes. Continuation of interview with Paul Robinson, August 17, 1972. Discussed other schools' flying programs, more about Moody's programs; George Fisk in Borneo; division of studies into Department of Missionary Aviation directed by Dirk Van Dam, and Department of Missionary Radio, with Austin Anderson as director; move to a flight camp in Tennessee; student testing; aviation maintenance technology degree.
T7 - Cassette, 3-3/4 ips, approximately 15 minutes. Continuation of interview of Paul Robinson by John Wells, August 17, 1972. Discusses advantages of various types of airplanes, training students in flying and maintenance, students from other countries, and refresher courses for furloughing missionaries.
T8 - Reel-to-reel, 3-3/4 ips, approximately 40 minutes. Talk by John Wells, to accompany some of the slides in this collection, concerning the chronological history of missionary aviation. N.d. Wells' talk appears to have been recorded over an earlier unidentified recording which continues at the conclusion of Wells' speech.*****
Almquist, L. Aarden. Covenant Missions in Alaska. Chicago, IL: Covenant Press, 1962.
Bilton, John. The Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia: Its Origin, Growth, and Development. Sydney, Australia: Halstead Press, 1961.
Jonson, Jonas. Lutheran Missions in a Time of Revolution: The China Experience 1944-1951. Uppsala, Sweden: Tvavaga forlags ab, 1972.*****
AERONAUTICS IN MISSIONARY WORK: Negative for "Native Missionary," Baptist Mid-Missions," and other unidentified planes. N.d. 6 b&w.
AUSTRALIAN INLAND MISSION: Royal Flying Doctor Service planes and people. Ca. 1927-1968, n.d. 14 b&w. See Photo File Location Record.
CHRISTIAN AND MISSIONARY ALLIANCE: Wreckage of "Sealand," C&MA's plane in Dutch New Guinea (West Irian) and other planes used by them. 1949-1982, n.d.. 1 color, 23 b&w.
CHURCH OF GOD AND PROPHECY: A Beech B95 operated by the Church of God and Prophecy of Cleveland, Tennessee. N.d. 4 b&w.
EPISCOPAL CHURCH: Bishop Harry R. Carson, missionary to Haiti and one of first to use a plane in his missionary work, also portraits of Carson. 1924, n.d. 4 b&w.
FISK, GEORGE E.: 35mm strip of negatives of Fisk in Borneo and planes that he was involved with. N.d. 6 b&w.
HERRON, WALTER J. "WALLY": Unidentified negatives from folder 2-14, probably of work of the Andes Evangelical Mission (now Bolivian Indian Mission) and negatives of Herron, maps, and plane (see Photo File). 8 color, 19 b&w.
JAARS (JUNGLE AVIATION AND RADIO SERVICE): Mostly unidentified negatives of planes and people, but also including two views of the "Spirit of Chicago." N.d. 20 color, 13 b&w.
LETOURNEAU, R. G.: Plane owned by LeTourneau and portrait of him. C. 1939, n.d. 4 b&w.
LUTHERAN CHURCH (ALC): First plane flight in New Guinea and pilot Fritz Loose; and an aircraft show in Lockport, IL. C. 1935, n.d. 3 color, 17 b&w.
MAF (Mission Aviation Fellowship): An alternate fuel system and interior modifications of an MAF Cessna 185 for missionary use and various unidentified planes in color. 1964-1966, n.d. 30 color, 2 b&w.
METHODIST CHURCH: Methodist Church-owned planes in the Philippines (?). N.d 3 b&w.
MIVA (Missions-Verkebrs-Arbeitsgemeinschaft)--Fa. Paul Schulte, OMI: Father Schulte, The Flying Priest, with various planes, including one of him celebrating mass on the airship Hindenberg, 1929-1963, n.d. 31 b&w.
MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE MISSIONARY AVIATION: Airplane belonging to MBI's technical training school. N.d. 1 b&w.
NEW TRIBES MISSION: Planes and unidentified people serving with New Tribes Mission. N.d. 13 b&w.
SAMAIR: South America Mission; unidentified planes and people, plus one picture of Myron Loss, pilot for Andes Indian Mission. N.d. 5 color.
SEVENTH DAY ADVENTISTS: Planes flying over Alaska, Harold L. Wood, Adam Baldwin. N.d. 7 b&w.
SIMAIR: Sudan Interior Mission airplanes. N.d. 9 b&w.*****
CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH--MISSIONS. One 25" x 20-1/2" map depicting congregations, schools, mission stations, hospitals, dispensaries, youth centers, and air strips operated by the Nigeria Mission of the Christian Reformed Church; n.d. One 16" x 9-1/2" map titled Christian Reformed World Mission; n.d.*****
AERONAUTICS IN MISSIONARY WORK: National plane and space model show winner; Immanuel Christian Assembly plane, "Heath Parasol" of Methodist Overseas Mission, Paul Uhlinger, pilot for Conservative Baptist Foreign Missionary Society killed in 1948; pilot Del Storey and family, plane of Air Ambulance Transport Service Board; plane with Bible painted on side; plane of Evangelical Covenant Church of America; plane of Foundation for Airborne Relief; "Native Missionary" plane; plane of Baptist Mid-Missions; others. 1928-1978, n.d. 1 color, 19 b&w.
AUSTRALIAN INLAND MISSION: Royal Flying Doctor Service (includes official photos of the RFDS), first aircraft chartered by the service from QUANTAS; Rev. John Flynn, founder of AIM; Dr. George Simpson, first doctor employed in AIM's flying doctor service; plane used extensively in the 1940s; the second aircraft placed in the service; 1927 survey flight; QUANTAS pilot Mr. Evans, Dr. George Simpson and a QATB official. C. 1927-1968, n.d. 30 b&w.
CATHOLIC MISSIONS: Catholic priest William A. Leising with planes he flew in Northwest Territory, Rev. Louis Bedard in Peru, and Rev. Frank Breuer in West Irian. 1952-1964, n.d. 33 b&w.
CHRISTIAN AND MISSIONARY ALLIANCE: Photos of wreckage of "Sealand," C&MA's plane in Dutch New Guinea (West Irian) and other planes. 1949-1982, n.d. 1 color, 23 b&w.
CHRISTIAN REFORMED WORLD MISSIONS: Photos of planes, missionaries, and nationals connected with the Christian Reformed Church, including one photo with a chimpanzee in the pilot's seat of an airplane. N.d. 7 color.
CHURCH OF GOD AND PROPHECY: Photos of a Beech B95 operated by the Church of God and Prophecy of Cleveland, Tennessee. N.d. 4 b&w.
EPISCOPAL CHURCH: Bishop Harry R. Carson, missionary to Haiti and one of first to use a plane in his missionary work, also portraits of Carson; L. E. Woods(?) and plane in Alaska. 1921, 1924, 1956, n.d. 10 b&w.
EVANGEL 4500: Photos of the planes that carried this name. C. 1964, n.d. 3 b&w, 1 color.
GRACE MISSIONS, INC: Photo of Cessna 1967 Super Skywagon with Fred Bahler, missionary layman, and pilot-salesman Barney Keogh. C. 1967. 2 b&w.
HERRON, WALTER J. "WALLY": Photos of Rev. and Mrs. Wally Herron. He was first pilot of the Andes Evangelical Mission (now Bolivian Indian Mission), a new landing strip, pilot Ivan Pettigrew, Virgilio Soleto of George Allan Seminary, AEM missionary Bob Sanders, and two unidentified maps. 1964, 1973, n.d. 10 b&w.
JAARS (JUNGLE AVIATION AND RADIO SERVICE): Photos of planes, including the "Spirit of Chicago" and the "Spirit of Seattle"; pilots and translators; a plane stuck in a tree hole; the Ecuador Jungle Base; photos of accident in jungle of Ecuador and portage and reassembly of plane; close-up shots of inside and outside of plane. 1952-1976, n.d. 17 color, 27 b&w, one b&w proof sheet of 25 photos (no negatives).
LETOURNEAU, R. G.: Photos of plane owned by LeTourneau and portrait of him. C. 1939, n.d. 4 b&w.
LUTHERAN CHURCH (ALC): Photographs showing first plane flight in New Guinea and pilot Fritz Loose and the Lutheran plane in Liberia. C. 1935, n.d. 1 color, 23 b&w.
MISSION AVIATION FELLOWSHIP: GENERAL: Photos of the first plane MAF flew, shown with Betty Greene, James Truxton, and J. Grady Parrott; an alternate fuel system and interior modifications for a Cessna 185 owned by MAF, a navy ambulance based in Mexico, a Cessna 172 based in Brazil, among others, and scenes involving airplanes in Brazil, Venezuela, West Irian, Irian Jaya, Zaire, Laos, Rhodesia, and Surinam. Includes photo of Dr. Carl Becker of Africa Inland Mission in Zaire. Also includes portrait photos of MAF executives, such as President Charles T. Bennett, Vice-presidents Robert Gordon, Dennis Stuessi, Jack Walker, and Director of Personnel Don W. Berry. 1964-1976, n.d. 1 color, 21 b&w.
MAF (MISSION AVIATION FELLOWSHIP): IRIAN JAYA: Photos of planes, airstrip, loading livestock, and other mission activities. N.d. 25 b&w.
METHODIST CHURCH: Methodist Church-owned Cessna 180 on Mindanao Island in the Philippines, Steve and Gail Quiqq. 1967, 1980, n.d. 5 b&w.
MIVA (Missions-Verkebrs-Arbeitsgemeinschaft)--Fa. Paul Schulte, OMI: Photos of Father Schulte, The Flying Priest, with various planes, including one photo of him celebrating mass on the airship Hindenberg, 1929-1963, n.d. 43 b&w.
MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE MISSIONARY AVIATION: Photos of airplanes belonging to MBI's technical training school, classes in session, and the Moody Wood Dale Airport. Included in several photos is Paul Robinson, founder of the MBI aviation program. C. 1955, n.d. 12 b&w.
NEW TRIBES MISSION: Planes and unidentified people serving with New Tribes Mission. N.d. 10 b&w.
NORTH AMERICAN BAPTIST ASSOCIATION: Missionary Gerald Price (Brazil) standing by plane bought with Gold Bond stamps. 1967. 1 b&w.
ROLOFF EVANGELISTIC ENTERPRISES: Planes and airstrip belonging to Roloff. N.d. 3 color.
SAMAIR: South America Mission missionaries Joe and Kathy Kemper, base of SAM at Cashibo Cocha, and plane docked at Yarina Linguistic Base of the Wycliffe Bible Institute. 1974?, n.d. 2 b&w, 1 color.
SEVENTH DAY ADVENTISTS: Planes flying over Alaska, Harold L. Wood, Adam Baldwin. N.d. 9 b&w.
SIMAIR: Sudan Interior Mission airplanes. N.d. 3 b&w.
WORLD VISION INTERNATIONAL: Airplanes in use by World Vision in Ethiopia and Kampuchea. 1979-1981. 8 b&w.*****
The slides in this collection were numbered by the archivist; the titles are those given by Wells. They depict various types of airplanes, pilots, landing strips, hangars, mission sites, etc.
SLIDE BOX 10
1. Cessna 182; Used by R. Parmantirer for Catholic Missions
2. South American Mission Stinson; OB-M-852
3. South American Mission Maule "Rocket"; 5 miles from JAARS base
4. South American Mission Stinson; OB-V-68
5. Catholic; Rev. Leo Arkvelt; Fritz Loose Collection
6. Fr. William Leising, OMI; Ski installation on "Beaver"; 03/31/55
7. Fr. William Leising, OMI; Beech 18; Edmonton, Alb.; 11/10/64
8. Missionary Aviation History
9. MAF; Cessna Photo; Johnny Keenan pilot
10 Evangel 4500; Orange City, IA; Bruce Dillingham photo; 09/72
11. Evangel Wing Test; Dr. Paul Wright Collection
12. Mission Aviation History
13. JAARS; Evangel 4500; Yarina Cocha, Peru; Doug Demming Sr.
14. Evangel air
15. Evangel air; Carl Mortenson; 04/24/71
16. Evangel air; Carl Mortenson; 04/24/71
17. Evangel air; Carl Mortenson; 04/24/71
18. JAARS Evangel 4500; Yarina Cocha, Peru; Doug Demming Sr.
19. JAARS Evangel 4500; Evangel Evaluation; Doug Demming Sr.
20. Evangel 4500; Orange City, IA; Bruce Dillingham; 1972
21. Evangel 4500; Orange City, IA; Bruce Dillingham; 1972
22. Evangel 4500; William Nyman; 1968
23. Evangel 4500; Yarina Cocha, Peru; Dr. Paul M. Wright
24. Evangel 4500; Orange City, IA; Bruce Dillingham; 1972
25. Evangel 4500; Orange City, IA; Bruce Dillingham; 1972
26. Evangel 4500; Evangel Aircraft Corp.; Orange City, IA; Bruce Dillingham; 1972
27. Gift of Rev. Paul Robinson
28. Gift of Rev. Paul Robinson
29. Former site of main hangar Wood Dale; 07/31/77
30. MBI; Model made by boy of Loquindo Tribe of S. Mexico; 06/73
31. MBI; Model built by Aucas for Marj. Saint; 06/73
32. Gift of Rev. Paul Robinson; Piper J-3; Elizabethton, TN
33. MBI; T-6 Preparing for paint; 02/57
34. Gift of Rev. Paul Robinson; Architects Drawing; Moody, TN
35. MBI; Former T hangars - still up; 07/31/77
36. Evangel 4500; Yarina Cocha, Peru; Doug Demming
37. New Tribes 1st Aircraft
38. New Tribes; DC-3 N16030 lost
39. New Tribes
40. New Tribes; DC-3 N16030 lost (their second)
41. New Tribes; N74586, not a NT plane
42. SDA 7; 02/73
43. SDA, "Super Cub"; Clyde Peters[?]; 09/72
44. SDA; Fairchild 24 over Alaska; 02/74
45. JAARS Evangel 4500; Lyon, Mortenson, Osterhus, Woodward
46. Church of God & Prophecy; Beech "Baron"; Larkins
47. MBI Wood Dale Airport; Ski practice; Piper J-3; 03/65
48. Wheaton College; Soderberg family; 1st SIM pilot in 1948
49. SIMAIR; Nigeria; Hershelman photo; 05/72
50. MAF; Hughes 500 Turbo
51. Wycliffe; Helio Courier; 12/55
52. JAARS Deputation Dir.; Mr. Merril Piper; 03/71
53. Wycliffe; Bob Griffin pilot; JAARS Deputation Dir
54. JAARS Aircraft; Helio Courier; Waxhaw, NC; 07/12/76
55. JAARS Aircraft; Helio Courier; Waxhaw, NC; Dayton Airfair;
56. JAARS; Doug Richard, Dave Black, Skip Thornberg; Dayton Airfair; 07/78
57. JAARS; Shops; Waxhaw, NC; 07/12/76
58. JAARS; DC-3, "Jariri"
59. JAARS; DC-3, "Jariri"; Loading Cattle; Paul Wright
60. JAARS; DC-3, "Jariri"; Original paint; 1st flight to Peru; Lynn Washburn
61. JAARS; "Moises Saenz"; William Nyman
62. JAARS; William Nyman by Helio
63. JAARS; "Tariri" wife and child, conversion
SLIDE BOX 11
64. JAARS; Limon Cocha, Ecuador; Paul Wright; 09/69
65. JAARS; Helio landing; Loma-Linda, Colombia; 08/69
66. JAARS; Bubble Turret; Dr. Cameron Townsend; Paul Wright
67. JAARS; "Marshall Rondon"; Wycliffe Photo
68. JAARS Aircraft; Helio Courier; Waxhaw, NC; 07/12/76
69. JAARS Aircraft; Hiller; Waxhaw, NC; 07/12/76
70. Crossing Equator; Through the Equatorial Trough
71. N2000L & JAARS; Catlina in Pucallpa, Peru; Lynn Washburn
72. N2000L in Bogota, Colombia; Lynn Washburn
73. Cleaning Wheel; Wells in Pucallpa, Peru; Lynn Washburn
74. South American Mission; Myron Loss; Pilot & wife
75. AIM/BIM; Rev. Walter & Emily Herron
76. Condor of the Andes; Awarded to Walter Herron by Bolivia
77. BIM/AEM; Wally Herron & friends
78. BIM/AIM; Wally Herron
79. BIM/AEM; Walter Herron
80. BIM/AEM; Wally Herron & colleagues
81. AIM/BIM; Rev. Walter Herron; 1957
82. BIM/AEM; Wally Herron
83. BIM/AEM; Bolivia - Area of "Wally" Herron Service
84. Bolivian Indian Mission; Rev. Wally Herron
85. BIM/AEM; Wally Herron & 1st place
86. MBI Aircraft; Hiller; 07/11/76
87. MBI; A & E Class; 1957-58
88. MBI Aircraft; Piper J-3C Checklist
89. Gift of Rev. Paul Robinson
90. Gift of Rev. Paul Robinson; MBI; Elizabethton old hangar
91. MBI Airplane; Dave Rott; 01/57
92. MBI work; Stinson recover; 06/57
93. MBI Airplane; Aeronca Champion; Fall 1956
94. California Trip; 02/57
95. MBI Airplane; Cessna 170B; Summer 1956
96. MBI Airplane; Luscombe 8A; Fall 1956
97. MBI Aircraft; Cessna 185
98. MBI Airplane; Aeronca Champion; 05/55
99. Paul Wertheimer; former MBI flight manager & instructor
100. Former Moody - Wood Dale Airport; 11/726
101. MBI Special Flight; Piper J-3; 05/57
102. MBI Wood Dale Apt; Ski take-off; Piper J-3; Rev Paul Robinson, instructor; 03/55
103. MBI Aviation; 1st hangar used at Elizabethton, TN; Gift of Rev Paul Robinson
104. MBI Special Flight; J-3 Cub; 05/57
105. MBI Plane; T-6; 05/57
106. JAARS; HC-AOP; "Tariri"; Dick Phillips
107. JAARS; Waxhaw, NC; 07/12/76
108. JAARS; Helio Modification to Large Door; 07/12/76
109. JAARS; Waxhaw, NC; 07/12/76
110. JAARS; Waxhaw, NC; 07/12/76
111. JAARS; Waxhaw, NC; 07/12/76
112. JAARS; Waxhaw, NC; 07/12/76
113. JAARS; Waxhaw, NC; 07/12/76
114. JAARS; Waxhaw, NC; 07/12/76
115. JAARS; Aeronca Sedan #3; Paul Wertheimer
116. JAARS; Hangar at Yarina Cocha; Paul Wertheimer
117. JAARS; Aeronca Sedan #3; Paul Wertheimer
118. JAARS; Nordyn "Norseman"; Paul Wertheimer
119. JAARS; Yarina Cocha; William Nyman
120. JAARS; Aeronca Sedan #3; New Orleans; Paul Wertheimer
121. JAARS; Wycliffe Photo; George Woodward; "Marshall Rondon"
122. New Guinea; High Lands Terrain
123. JAARS; Wycliffe Photo; Papua New Guinea; Henry Cook
124. JAARS; Papua New Guinea; Henry Cook
126. Old hangar at Kanunga (Uganda)
127. New hangar at Lulua Burg now called Kanunga
128. MIVA; Stinson; William T. Larkins
129. MIVA; Rev. Paul Schulte with Stinson
130. MIVA; Hugo Junkers, K-16; 1922; Given to Fr. Paul Schulte
131. MIVA; Rev. Paul Schulte OMI; Fr. Henry & Fr. Cochard; 1959
132. MIVA; Rev. Paul Schulte; Gift of Prof. Hugo Junkers; K-16
133. MIVA; Rev. Paul Schulte with Stinson; William T. Larkins
134. Panel Art from Moody Monthly; MAF
135. Panel Art from Moody Monthly; MAF
136. JAARS; Wycliffe Photo; New Guinea; Henry Cook; Piper PA-23
137. AIM (BIM); Rev. Walter & Emily Herron; Gift of Mr & Mrs Warner
138. JAARS; William Nyman Photo
139. JAARS; Nordlyn "Norseman"; Wycliffe Photo; Floyd Lyon
140. JAARS; George Woodward
141. JAARS; Aeronca #3; Paul Wertheimer
142. JAARS; Aeronca Sedan; Yarina Cocha; William Nyman Photo
143. Helio Courier; Peru
144. JAARS; DC-3 "Tariri"; Lynn Washburn
145. JAARS; Omar Bonderant, "Uncle Cam" Townsend, "Larry" Montgomery; Paul Wright Photo
146. JAARS; Paul Wright Photo
147. JAARS; "Stuck on Yarina Ramp"; William Nyman
148. JAARS; "Moisez Saenz", "Marshall Rondon"; William Nyman
149. JAARS; "Marshall Rondon"; William Nyman
150. Lynn Hawthorne; sight of Uncle Jim Elliot's death; 07/81
151. Lynn Hawthorne; sight of Uncle Jim Elliot's death; 07/81
152. Rachel Saint, Gikita & wife, Linda Warhola, Lynn Hawthorne
153. Rachel Saint, Gikita & wife, Linda Warhola. Lynn Hawthorne
154. "Angel" N44KE; Carl Mortenson
155. Bapt. Liberian Mid. Mission; Abe Guenter
156. Bapt. Liberian Mid. Mission; Abe Guenter; 06/29/71
157. MAF; Hangar; Fullerton, California
158. MAF; Cessna 172; Brazil; Elmer Reaser
159. Futoma Lufwa; Angolan; worked with Marv[?] Bowers in Zaire
160. MAF; Director A.Glassier & Paul Lewis
161. MAF; Director A.Glassier & Paul Lewis
162. MAF; Nate Saint Stamp
163. MAF; Hangar from landing plane
164. Wycliffe; Rachel Saint with Dr & Mrs William Culbertson; 1971
165. MAF; Marj & Nate Saint; Shell Mera, Ecuador
166. MAF; Zaire; Marv Bowers Photo
167. MAF; Huges 500 Turbo; "Nomad"
168. MAF; Cessna 180 NZ-PTZ; Bob Pickett
169. MAF; Picnic; Charles Mellis[?]
170. MAF; Picnic; Grady Parrot
173. Episcopalian; Bishop Harry Carlson; 1st Cleric to Fly to Propagate Faith
175. Royal Flying Doctor Service
176. Aircraft; C-53D of Mercy Airlift
177. American Lutheran Church
178. American Lutheran Church
179. Christian & Missionary Alliance; Charles E. Brown Photo; Worchester Pk, Surrey
180. Christian & Missionary Alliance; Cessna 180 JZ-PTC; E.W.Ulrich Photo; Mr Troutman, Mr Cutts, Mr Hamers
181. Christian & Missionary Alliance; Cessna 180 JZ-PTC; Homejo Strip; E.W.Ulrich
182. Aircraft; Short Bros & Harland "Sealand"
183. Aircraft; Short Bros & Harland "Sealand"
184. Aircraft; Short Bros & Harland "Sealand"
185. Christian & Missionary Alliance; Unique Way to Pack Down a Runway; E.W.Ulrich
186. Christian & Missionary Alliance; Rev. Geo. E. Fisk & Rev. Fred Jackson
187. Christian & Missionary Alliance; Rev. Geo. Fisk & Rev. Fred Jackson
188. Christian & Missionary Alliance; Rev. Geo. Fisk & Rev. Fred Jackson
189. Christian & Missionary Alliance; Rev. Geo. Fisk & Rev. Fred Jackson
190. Christian & Missionary Alliance; Rev. Geo. Fisk & Rev. Fred Jackson in Borne
191. Christian & Missionary Alliance; Cessna 180 JZ-PTD; E.W.Ulrich
192. Christian & Missionary Alliance; Rev. Geo. Fisk & Rev. Fred Jackson in Borneo
193. Baptist Liberian Mid. Mission; Rev. Abe Guenter
194. Baptist Liberian Mid. Mission; Rev. Abe Guenter
195. Baptist Liberian Mid. Mission; Rev. Abe Guenter
196. Baptist Mid. Mission Brazil; Rev. & Mrs. Benefiel
197. Baptist Mid. Mission Brazil; Rev. & Mrs. Benefiel
198. Baptist Mid. Mission Brazil; Rev. Benefiel
199. Baptist Mid. Liberian Mission; Rev.'s Abe Guenter, Roy Watkins, J.T.Kyons
200. Baptist Mid. Liberian Mission; Rev. Abe Guenter
201. Baptist Mid. Liberian Mission; Rev.'s Abe Guenter, Roy Watkins, J.T.Kyons
202. Baptist Mid. Liberian Mission; Rev. Abe Guenter
203. Baptist Mid. Liberian Mission; Rev. Abe Guenter
204. MBI; Model Built by Aucas for Marj Saint; Elizabethton, TN
205. JAARS; Nordyn "Norseman"
206. CPMA; Church of God of Prophecy; William Larkins
207. JAARS; Grumman J2F-5; Machiguenga Chief; H.C.Crowell Photo
208. JAARS; Grumman J2F-5 "Duck"; Don Hesse Photo
209. JAARS; Grumman J2F-5 "Duck"
210. JAARS; Grumman JRF-5 "Duck"; 1st JAARS plane
214. Dorothy Gilbert
217. MAF; Marv Bowers & Family
220. MAF; Cessna 206 9Q-CMX; Marv Bowers
226. MAF; Cessna 185 9Q-CVJ; Marv Bowers
227. MBI; Rev. Ed Wheeler; 06/73
228. MBI; Cessna 140 N2905N; Elizabethton, TN; 06/73
229. MBI; Model Made by boy of Loquindo Tribe of S. MEXICO; Elizabethton, TN
230. MBI; Missionary Aviation Technical Training Center; Elizabethtown, TN; 06/73
231. MBI; Missionary Aviation Technical Training Center; Elizabethton, TN; 06/73
232. MBI; Cessna Aerobat N8360M; Elizabethton, TN; 06/73
233. MBI; Luscombe 8A N717M; Elizabethton, TN; 06/73
234. MBI; Piper J-3 N98429; Elizabethton, TN; 06/73
235. MBI; Missionary Aviation Technical Training Center; Elizabethton, TN; Machine Shop; 06/73
236. MBI; Missionary Aviation Technical Training Center; Elizabethton, TN; Student Lounge; 06/73
237. MBI; Missionary Aviation Technical Training Center; Elizabethton, TN; Instrument Flight Simulator; 06/73
238. MBI; Missionary Aviation Technical Training Center; Elizabethton, TN; Student Lounge Cafeteria; 06/73
239. MBI; Bob Rich; Elizabethton, TN; 06/73
240. MBI; Missionary Aviation Technical Training Center; Elizabethton, TN; Reception Area; 06/73
241. MBI; Dirk Vandam; Director Missionary Aviation Training; 06/73
242. MBI; Entrance; Elizabethton, TN; 06/73
243. MBI; Missionary Aviation Technical Training Center; Elizabethton, TN; 06/73
244. MBI; Airframe Shop; 06/73
245. Papua New Guinea Scene; Geo. Janvier Photo; 1976
246. Nomad River Biami Tribe; Geo. Janvier Photo; 1976
247. Papua New Guinea Scene; Geo. Janvier Photo; 1976
248. Papua New Guinea Scene; Geo. Janvier Photo; 1976
249. MAF; Aircraft; Geo. Janvier Photo
250. Papua New Guinea Scene; Geo. Janvier Photo; 1976
251. MAF; Aircraft; Oksapmin, Papua New Guinea; Central Highlands; Geo Janvier Photo
252. Gasoline Supply; Geo. Janvier Photo; 1976
253. Tari, Papua New Guinea; Southern Highlands; "Wigman"; Geo. Janvier; 1976
254. Oksapmion, Papua New Guinea; Central Highlands; Geo. Janvier Photo; 1976
255. Working on Airstrip; Geo. Janvier Photo; 1976
256. Papua New Guinea; Central Highlands; Geo. Janvier Photo
257. Papua New Guinea; Central Highlands; Geo. Janvier Photo
258. Papua New Guinea Scene; Geo. Janveir Photo; 1976
279. MAF; Nate Saint Stamps
280. MAF; Nate Saint Commemorative Stamp
281. Bolivian/Indian Mission (AEM); Walter Herron; 1965[?]
282. BIM/AEM; Walter Herron
283. BIM/AEM; Walter Herron
284. BIM/AEM; Walter Herron
285. MBI; Aircraft; Cessna 170B; 03/57
286. MBI; Airplane; Aeronca "Champion"; Fall 1956
287. MBI; Aviation Tech; Piper J-3 "Cub"; 03/55
288. MBI; Aviation Tech; Cessna 140; "Hank" Worthington Imperial California Pilot
289. MBI; Special Flight; J-3 "Cub"; 05/57
290. MBI; Aircraft; Piper J-3C-85; 07/12/76
291. MBI; Aircraft; Piper J-3C; 07/14/76
292. MBI; Aircraft; Piper J-3C; 07/12/76
293. MBI; Airplane; Luscombe 8A; Spring 1956
294. Rev. Paul Robinson
295. Presbyterian; Jim Cole-Rouse, Pilot of MAF; S.African
297. Gift of Rev. Paul Robinson
298. MBI; Tech Advance Flight Desert Tent; Rev. Paul Robinson
299. Baptist Mid. Liberian Mission; Rev. Abe Guenter
300. Evangel 4500; Bruce Dillingham; 09/72
301. JAARS; Mission Plane; Mr & Mrs Joe Luce; Inter-American Friendship Fleet
303. JAARS; Yarina Cocha, Peru; Doug Demming Photo
304. WGM Mission Plane "Wings of Peace I"; Piper Pacer at Marion, IN; J. Kunkle photo
305. WGM Mission Plane "Wings of Peace I"; Rev. Frank at Propeller and Jonathan Tamplin at strut; J. Kunkle photo
306. WGM Mission Plane "Wings of Peace I"; Piper Pacer; Jonathan Tamplin at the controls; J. Kunkle photo
307. WGM Mission Plane Cessna 180 "Wings of Peace II" at time of dedication in Sacramento, CA; Mar 1967; J. Kunkle photo
308. WGM Mission Plane Cessna 180 "Wings of Peace II" in Bolivia; wreck; native with dead lion; J. Kunkle photo
309. WGM Mission Plane Cessna 180 "Wings of Peace III" in Bolivia; J. Kunkle photo
310. WGM "Wings of Peace III"; in Bolivia; Rev. Leroy Lyndoc, pilot, on left; Rev. Dellmar Ransdell on right; J. Kunkle photo
311. WGM Cessna 180; "Wings of Peace III"; Bolivia; J. Kunkle photo
312. WGM Cessna 180; "Wings of Peace III"; Bolivia; J. Kunkle photo
313. Aircraft. Douglas DC-3 N45WT; 1975
314. Piper "Comanche" 5N-ACE of SIMAIR; piloted by Dave Andrebos, photo by C. N. Hershelman.
315. Ivan Pettigrew and Robert Herron with Herron Memorial Plane; David Hoffer photo; 1966
316. Robert Herron unloading Herron Memorial Plan; David Hoffer photo; 1966
317. Ivan Pettigrew arriving at AIM; David Hoffer photo; 1971
318. "Evangel" Air OSH 85
319. "Angel," spoilers on wing OSH 85
320. MAF; Aucas; photo by Lynn Hawthorne, niece of Jim Elliot
321. MAF; photo by Lynn Hawthorne
322. MAF, Charles Burnett; 1980
323. MAF, Kathie and Norm Olson; 1980
324. MAF, sign on "Angel," OSH 85
325. MAF; "Angel" Kings Aircraft Co N44 KE (Carl Mortenson); 1986
326. MAF; unidentified; photo by Lynn Hawthorne
327. MAF; Cessna 172 PT-BZM; Brazil; from Elmer Reaser
328. Lachute 49-46 N6000C "Native Missionary"; Wycliffe plane (?); 1949
329. Andes Evangelical Mission, Bolivia; Myron Loss, pilot; 1979
330. Lutheran; "Papua" and mechanic Carl Humbert; Malahaug, New Guinea; Fritz Loose photo; 1936
331. Lutheran; "Papua" loading freight for Mt. Hagen at Malahang, New Guinea; Fritz Loose photo; 1936
332. Lutheran; Fritz Loose with Papuans; Fritz Loose photo; 1936
333. Lutheran; Fritz Loose (right) and unidentified American missionary; Madang, New Guinea; Fritz Loose photo; 1936
334. Lutheran; Junkers F-13, Lae, New Guinea; Fritz Loose, pilot and photo; 1935
335. Lutheran; Fritz Loose on left; 1929
336. Church built by Wally Herron; David Hoffer photo; 1971
337. "Condor of the Andes" medal of honor given to Wally Herron by Bolivian government; David Hoffer photo; 1964
338. AIM, arrival at Tarija Airport; David Hoffer photo; 1974
339. AIM, gasing up at Santa Ava Airport; Maule Rocket; David Hoffer photo; 1970
340. AIM, Lake Victoria Leprosarium in Beni founded by Wally Herron; David Hoffer photo; 1971
341. AIM, Robert Herron wedding of Ray and Myrtle Morris; David Hoffer photo
342. AIM, flat cloudless Beni; David Hoffer photo; 1970
343-345 [Untitled]; possibly Bolivia Indian Mission
346. JAARS; North Carolina license plate, Waxhaw, NC; 1976
347. MAF, Aero Commander
348. MAF, Hughes 500
349. MAF, Nomad
350. MAF, Ramona
351. MAF, Ramona
352. MAF, Ramona
353. MAF, Ramona
354. MAF, Ramona
|1||1||Africa Evangelical Fellowship; 1978-1979|
|1||2||Africa Inland Mission; n.d.|
|1||3||Agape Air--Flight Log; 1976-1978|
|1||4||Airmail from God/Trans World Missions; 1968-1977|
|1||5||Assemblies of God; 1948-1974|
|1||6||Australian Inland Mission; Royal Flying Doctor Service; 1946-1980|
|1||7||Australian Mission Aviation Fellowship; 1966-1974|
|1||8||Baptist Mid-Missions; 1972-1974, n.d.|
|1||9||BIAFRA: Mercy Missions; 1969-1970, n.d.|
|1||10||Borneo Evangelical Mission; n.d.|
|1||11||British Mission Aviation Fellowship; 1956, n.d.|
|1||12||Carlson, Paul B.--Evangelical Mission Covenant Church of America; 1938-1979, n.d.|
|1||13||Alaska, Bolivia, Laos, Madagascar, Mexico, Papua New Guinea, Tanganyika (now Tanzania); 1954-1981, n.d.|
|1||14||Greenland; 1965-1967, n.d.|
|1||15||Holland, Fr. James--Philippines; 1964|
|1||16||Leising, Fr. W. A.--N.W. Territories; 1959-1977, n.d.|
|1||17||"Marquette Missionary"--Alaska; 1930-1931, n.d.|
|1||18||West Irian (New Guinea); 1957-1977|
|1||19||Central Alaskan Mission, Inc; 1966-1967, n.d.|
|1||20||Chaplain Service--U.S. Navy; n.d.|
|1||21||Christian and Missionary Alliance; 1937-1978, n.d.|
|1||22||Christian Blind Mission, n.d.|
|1||23||Christian Pilots Association; 1979|
|Christian Reformed Church|
|OS 31||Map of the Nigeria Mission and Map of World Missions; n.d.|
|1||25||C.I.C.M. Mission; Manila, Philippines; 1968, 1972|
|2||1||Conservative Baptist Foreign Mission Society; 1948-1972, n.d.|
|2||2||Crawford, Mrs Mattie, Pentecostal evangelist; 1924-1982, n.d.|
|2||3||East African Flying Doctor Services--Medical Research Foundation; 1967|
|2||4||Episcopal Church; 1924-1973|
|2||5||Evangel 4500--Carl Mortenson; 1963-1983|
|2||6||Faith Baptist Bible College; 1976-1977|
|2||7||Fellowship of Christian Airline Personnel; 1972-1978|
|2||8||Fisk, George E.--Borneo; 1924-1983, n.d.|
|2||9||Flying Samaritans, Inc.; 1972|
|2||10||Grace Missions, Inc.; 1967|
|2||11||Hartford, Paul; 1945-1952|
|2||12||Hearn, Kenneth J.H. (Missionary Aviation Specialist); 1968-1975|
|2||13||Helimission; 1986, n.d.|
|2||14||Herron, Walter J. ("Wally")--Bolivian Indian Mission and Andes Evangelical Mission; 1946-1976, n.d.|
|2||15||Humbard, Rex--"Cathedral of the Air"; 1976-1978, n.d.|
|2||16||Immanuel Christian Assembly Church; 1972|
|2||17||Index Cards: Airplane Records; 1945-1967, n.d.|
|3||1||Jungle Aviation and Radio Service (JAARS) I; 1947-1976|
|3||2||Jungle Aviation and Radio Service (JAARS) II; 1958-1984|
|3||3||Larkins, Bill (American Aircraft Historian); 1967-1989|
|3||4||LeTourneau, R.G.--LeTourneau College; 1970-1972|
|3||5||Lutheran Church (ALC)--First Flights in New Guinea; 1930-1980|
|3||6||Lutheran Association of Missionaries & Pilots (LAMPS); 1982|
|3||7||Marine Medical Mission; 1961|
|3||8||Mennonites--Northern Light Gospel Mission; 1980|
|3||9||Methodist Church; 1961-1980, n.d.|
|3||10||Methodist Overseas Mission (United Church); 1935-1974, n.d.|
|3||12||Mission Aviation: Directories; 1967-1968, n.d.|
|Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF)|
|4||1||I; 1944-1979, n.d.|
|4||5||Missionary Aircraft & Repair Center (MARC); 1979-1983|
|Missionary Aviation History|
|4||6||Christian Herald Article; 1981|
|4||7||Correspondence; 1966-1970, n.d.|
|4||9||Missionary Flights, International; 1979-1981, n.d.|
|4||10||MIVA (Missions-Verkebrs-Arbeitsgemeinschaft)--Fa. Paul Schulte, OMI; 1929-1974, n.d.|
|5||1||Moody Bible Institute (MBI)--Air Tech School; 1946-1976, n.d.|
|5||2||Murk Family--Dave Gardner; 1980|
|5||3||New Tribes Mission--David Kimbell; 1950-1979|
|5||4||North American Baptist Association--Gerald Price; 1967|
|5||5||Oriental Missionary Society (OMS); 1966|
|5||6||Pacific Missionary Aviation; 1978-1988, n.d.|
|5||7||Papers Prepared from this Missionary Aviation History Collection; 1953-1987, n.d.|
|5||8||Pilgrim Holiness Church; 1956-1977|
|5||9||Presbyterians (United Presbyterian Church in the USA); 1948-1978, n.d.|
|5||10||Project Partner with Christ; 1980, n.d.|
|5||11||Roloff Evangelistic Enterprises; ca. 1979|
|5||12||Salvation Army; 1924-1972|
|5||13||SAMAIR (South American Mission); 1978-1979|
|5||14||San Diego School of Missionary Aviation; n.d.|
|5||15||Seventh Day Adventists--Harold L. Wood; 1945-1976, n.d.|
|5||16||SIMAIR (Sudan Interior Mission); 1947-1982, n.d.|
|5||17||Southern Baptist Convention; ca 1965-1978, n.d.|
|5||18||St. Jude Express, Inc.; 1969-1972, n.d.|
|5||19||Swedish Church Mission; n.d.|
|5||20||The Evangelical Alliance Mission (TEAM); 1960-1977|
|5||21||Thesis: The Use of Aircraft on the Mission Field--William E. Martin; 1947|
|6||1||Time Magazine; Vol. VI, Jul-Dec 1925|
|6||2||Trinity Western College--British Columbia, Canada; 1982|
|6||3||United Missionary Air Training and Transport (UMATT)(Catholic); 1965-1967, n.d.|
|6||4||Wells, John--Personal Manuscripts; 1961-1978, n.d.|
|6||5||Wesleyan Methodist Church; 1976|
|6||6||Wings for Progress, Inc; 1966-1967, n.d.|
|6||7||Wings of Hope, Inc; 1971-1979|
|6||8||Wings of Praise and Prayer and Missionary Aviation; 1968-1973, n.d.|
|6||9||World Gospel Crusades--"Mercy Airlift"; 1979-1980, n.d.|
|6||10||World Gospel Mission (WGM)--Missionary Aviation; 1968-1969, n.d.|
|6||11||World Vision; 1981, n.d.|