American Home Missionary Society; 1826-1893
Papers; 1816 (1826-1894) 1936
1 Box (DC; .2 cubic feet), Microfilm
Copyright on the microfilm is held by the Microfilming Corporation of America. Literary rights are held by many individuals and authors are expected to secure permission to quote from owners of rights. The papers are in the physical custody of Dillard University.
A group of small missionary societies, the earliest of which was the Young Men's Missionary Society of New York (formed in 1815) along with the New York Evangelical Missionary Society (formed in 1816) and other small agencies combined to make up the United Domestic Missionary Society in 1822. This group was supported by Reformed Churches and the Presbyterian Church. In May 1826, representatives from Congregational, Presbyterian, and Reformed churches met to form the American Missionary Society. During the convention, the United Domestic Missionary Society voted to merge with the American Home Missionary Society.
Its purpose was to assist congregations in the United States and its territories primarily until they could become financially self-supporting. Women's groups within the society were recognized when a Women's Department was formed in 1883. Operations of the Society were carried out through auxiliary societies, agents and agencies. In the 1890s the Society membership increased from 17 to 203. However, by 1893 the interdenominational character of the Society had been lost and it was renamed Congregational Home Missionary Society, which was still in existence in 1975. For a more complete history of the Society, refer to the printed Microfilm Edition.
[NOTE: In the Scope& Content description, the notation "folder 2-5" means box 2, folder 5.]
Scope and Content
A complete description of the contents of the microfilm portion of this collection is found in the printed copy of the Microfilm Edition. It includes a listing of the entire 385 reels, all of which are in the collection held by the Billy Graham Center. These will be found on pages 21-32. Also included in this collection is one folder (folder 1-1) of correspondence from members of the Society to three secretaries of the Society, Rev. Milton Badger, Rev. Bill M. Hill, and Rev. David B. Coe, 1846-1854.
The materials were received at the Center in 1984 and 1985.
January 7, 1986
Frances L. Brocker
|1||1||Correspondence; 1846-1854 (six letters from members of the Society
reporting on ministerial activities, sermon topics, salary negotations, and
conditions in Ohio, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan):
David Knowles to Rev. Milton Badger; Apr 23, 1846